Options for Making Up Course Material
There are times when, due to weather or unforeseen events, classes may need to be canceled. Course coordinators have the following options to address missed material and should notify the Class President of their plans via email.
- In many cases, the missed material can be made up by assigning study of course notes or online materials, and a particular time and room may not required.
- If a new class time is necessary, the course leader should work with the Class President to determine a time that will best meet most of the students' availability (each class can decide whether to empower the president to act on their behalf or to have a vote). The hour and time to be selected cannot interfere with an existing class and will likely fall outside of normal scheduled class time and on weekends. Reasonable lead-time would be expected for all students to be aware of the change and reasonable requests should be granted for absence from rescheduled classes since some students may have prior obligations (e.g. medical appointments, alternate testing times for other classes, etc). If the material covered will appear on tests, the class must be made available through Mediasite to those who could not attend, or questions should come from clearly identified written course materials. Checking room availability is essential as only D-239 and the North and South Theaters can seat a full class, and they are the only rooms that have Mediasite capability.
- Instructors also have the option of recording lecture material via Mediasite on their own schedule (without class attendance).
- Please note that exam rescheduling will take priority over class scheduling.
- In some cases, it may not be possible to makeup the material and appropriate adjustments to the course and expectations may need to occur.
Student Services can assist by advising of the typical class schedule, by scheduling a room, by setting up Mediasite lecture capture, and by mediating when the same makeup day and time is desired for different classes. Contact Kirk Nuss at firstname.lastname@example.org to assist with the rescheduled events. Please note that it is essential to contact Kirk Nuss to schedule Mediasite lecture capture as it does not happen automatically.
To view the room scheduler, click here.
To view the typical class calendars, visit here.