Sheltering Training Exercise for Emergency Responders and Partner Organizations
- Provide access to emergency management information tools and resources for communities and organizations setting up temporary sheltering operations.
- Integrate veterinary students, community volunteers and the library in emergency preparedness, response and recovery planning to prepare them to efficiently and safely preserve the health of animals, their owners and responders.
- Encourage, strengthen and/or expand partnerships with first responders and community emergency management personnel.
Information Resources to Prepare for Exercise
Caring for Animals
- Animals in Disasters - National Library of Medicine
- Do's and Don'ts in Pet First Aid (PDF) - NCSU CVM
- Including Animals in Disaster Planning - NCSU CVM
- North Carolina Animal Disaster Sheltering Resources - NC Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Service
Caring for People
- Animal Bites - MedlinePlus
- Fall Prevention - MedlinePlus
- First Aid - MedlinePlus
- Stress - MedlinePlus
We are grateful for industry support for the following items essential to the care of the animals participating in the exercise.
- Bayer: microchips and microchip registration, anthelmintic medication
- Intervet/Schering Plough: vaccines
- Pfizer: heartworm tests and heartworm preventative for canine participants