Keith W. Montgomery, DVM, DACVO
Assistant Professor, Ophthalmology
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology, Washington and Jefferson College, 2001
Dr. Montgomery is a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and completed his undergraduate studies at Washington and Jefferson College in Washington, Pennsylvania. He obtained his veterinary degree from The Ohio State University, following which he completed a one-year small animal and medical internship at the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine followed by a one-year ophthalmology internship at Angell Medical Center in Massachusetts. His residency training in comparative veterinary ophthalmology was completed at Cornell University. Dr. Montgomery has spent the past 3 years in private practice as the staff ophthalmologist at Fox Valley Animal Referral Center in Appleton, Wisconsin. Keith and his wife, Barbara, enjoy outdoor pursuits including running, hiking, horseback riding, and camping.
- Comparative Veterinary Ophthalmology
Professional Experience & Qualifications
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, NC State University, 2013 – present
- Staff Ophthalmologist, Fox Valley Animal Referral Center, 2010 – 2013
- Residency in Ophthalmology, Cornell University, 2007 – 2010
- Ophthalmology Internship, Angell Animal Medical Center, 2006 – 2007
- Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Virginia Tech, 2005 – 2006
• Genetics/epigenetics of corneal disease
• Ocular pharmacogenomics
Montgomery KW, Ortved K, DeVries J et al. Bilateral parotid duct transposition for keratoconjunctivits sicca in a
Connemara stallion. Vet Ophthalmol 2012; Oct 15. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-5224.2012.01068.
Montgomery KW, Ledbetter EC, Mohammed HO. Effect of short-term diphenhydramine administration on
aqueous tear production in normal dogs. Vet Ophthalmol 2011; 14(6):395-9.
Montgomery KW, van der Woerdt A, Aquino SM, Sapienza JS, Ledbetter EC. Periocular cutaneous mast cell
tumors in cats: evaluation of surgical excision (33 cases). Vet Ophthalmol 2010; 13(1):26 - 30.
Montgomery KW, van der Woerdt A, Cottrill NB. Acute blindness in dogs: sudden acquired retinal degeneration
syndrome versus neurological disease (140 cases, 2000-2006). Vet Ophthalmol 2008; 11(5):314-20.