Glen W. Almond, DVM, PhD
Office: C-338, CVM Main Building
Phone: (919) 513-6370
Improve pig health and production through education, research, and service.
Teaching commitments involve veterinary, undergraduate and graduate students. Priorities include food animal focus students and developing international exchange programs. Courses taught include;
- VMP 420 Diseases of Farm Animals
- VMP 916 Preventive Herd Health and Management I
- VMP 933 Theriogenology
- VMP 956 Preventive Herd Health and Management III
- VMP 964 Swine Medicine
- VMP 984 Swine Health & Production I
- VMP 985 Swine Health & Production II
- VMP 991-011 Swine Health Management Selective I
- VMP 991-115 Swine Health Management Selective II
- VMP 992-305 International Pork Production Selective
- PHY 695: MR Thesis Research
- ALS 390: College of Ag and Life Sciences Honors Course
- VMP 420: Diseases of Farm Animals
- DVM, Ontario Veterinary College
- PhD, North Carolina State University, Reproductive Physiology
- MSc, Ontario Veterinary College, Reproductive Physiology
Provide students with clinical experience in swine medicine and production, and to facilitate interactions with veterinary practitioners. Our objective is to prepare students for entry into the pork industry.
Our research program maintains a balance between basic science and clinical investigations. The research addresses specific concerns in the pork industry. Topics include interactions between stress and immune function, reproduction, water medications, and infectious agents. The research depends on collaboration with colleagues in the College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Science, and on cooperation by swine practitioners, pork producers and allied industries.
- Hough S, Jennings SH, Almond GW. Thiamine responsive neurological disorder of swine. In preparation for Journal of Swine Health & Production.
- Fuscso WG, Choudhary N, Routh PA, Ventevogel MS, Almond GW, Orndorff PE, Sempowski GD, Leduc I. Haemophilus ducreyi trimeric autotransporter DsrA is an effective vaccine in the experimental swine model of chancroid. Submitted to Vaccine. 2014.
- Rochon K, Baker RB, Almond GW, Gimeno IM, Perez de Leon AA, Watson DW. Persistence and retention of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus in Stomoxys clacitrans. J Med & Vet Entomol. 2014. Accepted with revisions.
- Mori C, Boyer P, Tompkins MB, Almond GW. Applied study to evaluate regulatory T cells associated with PRRSV infections. Accepted with revisions. Can J Vet Res. 2014
- Boyer P, Almond GW. Use of altrenogest (Matrix™) at weaning in primiparous sows: effect on the following parity. Journal of Swine Health & Production 2014 (in press).
- Mason S, Almond GW, Riviere J, Baynes R . Evaluation of factors important in modeling plasma concentrations of tetracycline hydrochloride administered in water in swine. Am J Vet Res. 73(10):1641-9, 2012.
- Kick A, Tompkins M, Whisnant S, Flowers W, Almond GW. Effects of weaning age on the adaptive immune system in pigs. J Anim Sci. 90:649-656. 2012.
- Rochon K, Baker RB, Almond GW, Watson DW. Assessment of Stomoxys calcitrans as a vector of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus. J Med Entomology 48(4): 876-833. 2011.
- Kick AR, Tompkins MB, Almond GW. Stress and immunity in the pig. Cambridge Agriculture Bureau Reviews: Perspectives in Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Nutrition and Natural Resources;6 (018),Wallingford: CABI, 1-17, AN: 20113176052. 2011.
- Leduc I, Fusco W, Choudhary N, Routh PA, Cholon DM, Hobbs MM, Almond GW, Orndorff PE, Elkins C. Passive immunization with a polyclonal antiserum to the hemoglobin receptor of Haemophilus ducreyi confers protection against a homologous challenge in the experimental swine model of chancroid. Infection & Immunity 79(8):3168-77, 2011.
- Kick A, Hammer JM, Tompkins M, Almond GW. Evaluation of peripheral lymphocytes after weaning and vaccination for Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae. Research in Veterinary Science. 2010. Doi:10.1016/j.rvsc.2010.11.005.
- Mason S, Suyemoto M, Baynes R, Almond G. Stability and bioactivity of tetracycline water medication in a swine production unit. J Swine Health & Prod. 19(2):107-111. 2011.
- Fusco WG, Afonina G, Nepluev, Cholon DM, Choudhary N, Routh PA, Almond GW, Orndorff PE, Staats H, Hobbs MM, Leduc I, Elkins C. Immunization with Haemophilus ducreyi hemoglobin receptor HgbA with adjuvant monophosphoryl lipid a protects swine from a homologous but not a heterologous challenge. Infection & Immunity. 78(9):3763-72. 2010
- Mason S, Baynes R, Almond GW, Riviere J, Scheidt A. Pharmacology of tetracycline water medication in swine. J Anim Sci. 87: 3179-3186. 2009.
- Dorr PM, Nemechek M, Scheidt AB, Baynes RE, Gebreyes WA, Almond GW. Pharmaco-epidemiology of water flow variation and pharmaceutical delivery in swine finishing facilities. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 235(3):299-304. 2009.
- Dorr PM, Madson D, Wayne S, Scheidt AB, Almond GW. Impact of pH modifiers and drug exposure on the solubility of pharmaceutical products commonly administered through water delivery systems. J Swine Health & Production. 17(4):217-222. 2009.
- Martineau GP, Almond GW. Urinary tract infections in female pigs. Cambridge Agriculture Bureau Reviews: Perspectives in Agri, Vet Sci, Nutr and Nat Sci. 3:048, 2008. (http://www.cababstractsplus.org/cabreviews)
- Mason S, Baynes R, Burr J, Almond GW. Sulfamethazine water medication pharmacokinetics and contamination in a commercial pig production unit. J Food Protection. 71(3)584-589. 2008.
- Dorr PM, Gebreyes WA, Almond GW. Porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus: Age and management system disease modeling for pathogenic co-infection. J Swine Health & Production 15(5):258-263. 2007.
- Dorr PM, Baker RB, Almond GW, Wayne SR, Gebreyes WA. Epidemiologic assessment of porcine circovirus type 2 coinfection with other pathogens in swine. J Am Vet Med Assoc 220:244-250, 2007.
- Sanz M, Roberts JD, Perfumo CJ, Alvarez RM, Donovan T, Almond GW. An assessment of sow mortality. J of Swine Health & Production. 15: 30-36, 2007.
- Boonyaprakob U, Gadsby JE, Hedgpeth V, Routh P, Almond GW. Expression and localization of hypoxia-inducible factor-1a in the porcine ovary. Can J Vet Res 69:215-222, 2005.
- Roberts NES, Routh P, van Heugten E, Spears JW, Almond GW. Dietary zinc effects on performance and immune response of growing pigs infected with porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSv) and Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci 17:1438-1446, 2004.
- Boonyaprakob U, Gadsby JE, Hedgpeth V, Routh P, Almond GW. Expression and localization of vascular endothelial growth factor its receptors in porcine corpora lutea during the estrous cycle. Reproduction 126:393-405, 2003.
- Boonyaprakob U, Gadsby JE, Hedgpeth V, Routh P, Almond GW. Cloning of pig prostaglandin F2α (FP) receptor cDNA and expression of its mRNA in the corpora lutea. Reproduction. 125:53-64, 2003.