Luke B. Borst, DVM, PhD
Veterinary Anatomic Pathology
Office: 446, CVM Research Building
Phone: (919) 513-8287
- VMP 941: Systemic Pathology
- VMP 977: Clinical Labs/Autopsy
- VMP 977: Clinical Labs/Biopsy
- VMP 931 General Pathology
- VMP 934: Case in Infectious Disease and Immunity II
- VMP 910: Infection and Immunity
- VMC 991: Sample Collection and Interpretation
- CBS 810: Pathology Seminar
- PhD, University of Illinois, Veterinary Pathology
- DACVP, University of Illinois, Anatomic Pathology Residency
- DVM, University of Illinois, Veterinary Sciences
- 2009-Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Population Health and Pathobiolog, College of Veterinary Medicine North Carolina State University
- 2008- 2009, Visiting Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- 2005-2008, Teaching Associate and Residency in Anatomic Veterinary Pathology, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL Completed with ACVP board certification September 2008
- 2002-2005, Laboratory Technician in Diagnostic and Molecular Microbiology, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Pathogenic Enterococcus cecorum and Enterococcal Spondylitis (Kinky Back)
- Enterococcus cecorum: Pathogenic EC continues to cause significant losses to the US broiler industry and is a threat to regional economies and global food security. Our focus is to mitigate this threat through vaccination strategies. Current work focuses on development of both inactivated vaccines for broiler-breeders and a modified live vaccine for broilers.
- Borst LB* Suyemoto MM, Veerappa SK, Dunningan SE, Guy JS, Barnes HJ. A chick embryo lethality assay for pathogenic Enterococcus cecorum. Avian Diseases (accepted for publication 2014.
- Borst LB*, Suyemoto MM, Robbins KM, Lyman RL, Martin MP and Barnes HJ. Molecular epidemiology of Enterococcus cecorum isolates recovered from enterococcal spondylitis outbreaks in the southeastern United States. Avian Pathol 41: 479-485, 2012
- Robbins KM, Suyemoto MM, Lyman RL, Martin MP, Barnes HJ, and Borst LB*. An Outbreak of Enterococcal Spondylitis in Broilers Caused by Enterococcus cecorum. Avian Diseases 12/2012 56(4):768-73.
- Lanka S, Borst LB, Patterson SK, Maddox CW A multiphasic typing approach to subtype Streptococcus equi subspecies equi. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2010;22 928-936.
- Hillman L, Garrett L, Borst L and Fan T Investigation of the biologic behavior and CCR7 immunohistochemical staining of canine oral and perioral mast cell tumors: 44 cases (1996-2006) –accepted JAVMA
- Borst LB, Maddox CW, Ridgway M; Evaluation of a quantative real-time PCR for the detection of canine leptospirosis – in revision JVDI
- Lowe A, Barger AM, Graves T, Borst LB; Clinical, clinicopathological and selected histopathological changes due to glucocorticoid use in cats. Veterinary Record, 162:777-783, 2008
- Krug W, Manfra-Marretta S, de Lorimier LP, White DK, Borst LB; Diagnosis and management of Wegener’s granulomatosis is a dog. J.Vet.Dent. 23(4):231-236, 2006