James R. Flowers, PhD
Clinical Associate Professor
Office: B-104B, CVM Main Building
- VMP 920: Infection and Immunity II
- VMP 930: Infection and Immunity III
- VMP 934: Problem Solving for Cases in Infectious Diseases and Immunity II
- VMP 942: Clinical Pathology
- VMP 978: Clinical Pathology Senior Rotations
- VMP 991 (015): Selective-Parasite Control in Sustainable and Organic Agriculture
- B104: Teaching Laboratory Management
- ANS 441: Equine Management
- PhD, Zoology, North Carolina State University
- BS, Zoology, North Carolina State University
Recent Teaching Award
2012-2013 Outstanding Teacher Award,
College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University
Clinical Associate Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, NCSU. July 2002 - Present.
• Assist with two parasitology courses; Veterinary Parasitology (VMM 932) for the second year veterinary students and Clinical Parasitology (VMP 978) for fourth year veterinary
• Assisted with the development and participate in the Infection & Immunity Multi-semestercourses, including VMP 910, VMP 920, VMP 930, and VMP 934.
• Directly assist students in and out of lab, with questions and identification of parasite
• Course instructor for the 1 week selective Parasite control in Sustainable & OrganicAgriculture (VMP 991 -015)
• Assist with Clinical Pathology and Bacteriology labs set-up and student instruction.
• Development and maintenance of on-line course material for Veterinary Parasitology (http://parsitology.cvm.ncsu.edu), including interactive parasite keys
• Manage teaching laboratory facilities.
• Diagnosis and Identification of parasite infections.
• Collection, fixation, staining, mounting, and identification of parasitic helminths.
- JR Flowers, MA Matsche. 2014. Notes on the Fish Parasite Nitzschia (Monogenoidea: Capsalidae) in North America. Northeastern Naturalist. 21(3):N18-N27.
- Niemuth, JN, JV Allgood, JR Flowers, RS De Voe, and BV Troan. 2013. Ventricular Habronemiasis in Aviary Passerines. Case Reports in Veterinary Medicine. Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 719465, 6 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/719465
- Chitwood, MC, CS Deperno, JR Flowers, and S Kennedy-Stoskopf. 2013. Physiological Condition of Female White-tailed Deer in Nutrient-deficient Habitat type. Southeastern Naturalist. 12:307-316.
- Clarke III EO, CA Harms, JM Law, JR Flowers, VN Williams, BD Ring, AS McGinty, M Hopper & CV Sullivan. 2012. Clinical and Pathological Effects of the Polyopisthocotylean Monogenean, Gamacallum macroura in White Bass. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health. 24: 251-257.
- Flowers JR, M. Law, and Sofia Carvajal-Endara. 2011. Pseudosonsinotrema megalorchis n. sp. (Digenea: Pleurogenidae) from the Paramo Marsupial Frog, Gastrotheca pseustes (Anura: Hemiphractidae), from Ecuador. Comparative Parasitology. 78: 15-20.
- Sandfoss, M., C. DePerno, S. Patton, J Flowers, and S. Kennedy-Stoskopf. 2011. Prevalence of Antibody to Toxoplasma gondii And Trichinella spp. in Feral Pigs (Sus Scrofa) Of Eastern North Carolina. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 47: 338-343.
- Matsche MA, Flowers JR, Markin E., and Spence C. 2010. Observations and treatment of Nitzschia sturionis on Atlantic Sturgeon Acipenser oxyrinchus oxyrinchus from Chesapeake Bay. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health. 22:174–181.
- Bakal RS, Hickson BH, Gilger BC, Levy MG, Flowers J, and Khoo L. 2005. Surgical Removal of Cataracts Due to Diplostomum species in Gulf Sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus desotoi). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 36(3): 504-508.
- Rotstein DS, Flowers JR, Wolfe BA, and Loomis M. 2005. Renal Trematodiasis in Captive Double-
Toothed Barbets (Lybius bidentatus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 36(1): 124-126.
- American Society of Parasitologists.
- Helminthological Society of Washington.
- Southeastern Society of Parasitologists.
- The Wildlife Disease Association.
- North Carolina Academy of Science, Inc.