James R. Flowers, PhD
Clinical Associate Professor
- Degree: Ph.D., 1994.
- University: North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Major: Zoology
- Advisor: Dr. Grover C. Miller
- Dissertation: Larval Trematodes and Freshwater Mollusks From Eastern North Carolina.
- Degree: B.S., 1988.
- University: North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Major: Zoology
July 1998 - Present. College of Veterinary Medicine, NCSU. Assist with Veterinary Parasitology (VMM 932) for the second year veterinary students and Clinical Parasitology (VMM 978) for fourth year veterinary students. Directly assist students in and out of lab, with questions and identification of parasite specimens and ova. Development of on-line course supplements for Veterinary Parasitology which includes interactive parasite keys, and case-based clinic exercises. Manage two teaching laboratories. Course coordinator for General Parasitology (Z0 415) course for Undergraduate Students. Course coordinator and leader for the 1 week selective Advanced Clinical Parasitology for Companion Animals (VMM991V). Manages Parasitology Web site: http://parasitology.cvm.ncsu.edu/
Other Teaching Experiences
- Biology Department, University of North Carolina; Vertebrate Zoology (Biology 63)
- Biology Department, North Carolina State University; General Biology (Biology 125)
- Zoology Department, North Carolina State University; General Zoology (Zoology 201), Basic Anatomy & Physiology (Zoology 212), Vertebrate Zoology (Zoology 303), Cellular and Animal Physiology Laboratory (ZO 305).
- Division of Science, North Carolina Wesleyan College; Life Sciences (Biology 101)
- 2012-2013 Outstanding Teacher Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University
- 2004-2005 Board of Governors’ Award for Excellence in Teaching,
College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University.
- Member (2001) of the Academy of Outstanding Teachers, North Carolina State University.
- The 2001 Outstanding Teachers Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University.
- The 1992 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, North Carolina State University.
- The Betsy Tharrington Teaching Award for the Outstanding Teaching Assistant 1991-1992, Department of Zoology, North Carolina State University.
January 1997 - January 1998. Yellow Grub Study.
Evaluation of possible size resistance of Hybrid Striped Bass to the infection of the digentetic trematode, Clinostomum complanatum (yellow grub).
Binational Science Foundation Grant.
January 2001 - 2003. Trematodes in Aquaculture.
Development of strategic control methods against parasitic trematodes infesting aquaculture ponds, using molecular (PCR) probes. A collaboration with Israeli scientists.
Southern Regional Aquaculture Grant.
January 2002 - 2004. Bolbophorus study.
Identification, characterization, and control of Bolbophorus-like trematodes.
Fisheries Resource Grant.
February 2000 - July 2002. White Grub Study.
Field evaluation of the use of increased salinity in hybrid striped bass aquaculture ponds as a method to control grub infections. Also, to investigate the life cycle of an unidentified white grub that causes mortality in hybrid striped bass fingerlings.
- Flowers J, Poore M, Pote L, Litaker W, and Levy M. 2005. Cercariae of Bolbophorus damnificus and Bolbophorus sp. with Notes on North American Bolbophorids. Comparative Parasitology. 72: 220-226.
- Dzikowski R., Levy M.G., Poore M.F., Flowers J.R., & Paperna I. 2004. Use of rDNA polymorphism for identification of Heterophyidae infecting freshwater fishes. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 59: 35-41.
- Dzikowski R., Levy M.G., Poore M.F., Flowers J.R., & Paperna I. 2004. Clinostomum complanatum and Clinostomum marginatum (Rudolphi, 1819) (Digenea: Clinostomatidae) are separate species based on differences in rDNA. Journal of Parasitology. 90: 413-414.
- Flowers J, Poore M, Mullen J, and Levy M. 2004. New Distribution Records for Some Avian Digeneans. Comparative Parasitology. 71: 243-244.
- Dzikowski R., Levy M, Poore M, Flowers J, & Paperna I. 2003. Genetic and morphologic differentiation
of Bolbophorus confusus and B. levantinus (Digenea: Diplostomatidae), based on rDNA SSU polymorphism and SEM. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 57:231-235
- Levy MG, Flowers JR, Poore MF, Khoo L, Pote LM, Mullen JE, Paperna I, Litaker RW. 2002. Morphologic, Pathologic, and Genetic Investigations of Bolbophorus spp. (Diplostomatidae, Trematoda) Affecting Cultured Ictalurus punctatus in the Mississippi Delta. Journal of aquatic Animal Health. 14: 235-426.
- Levy MG, Correa MT, Flowers JR, Frinsko M. 1999. Yellow Grubs: A threat to North Carolina's Hybrid Striped Bass Aquaculture. Pamphlet. Raleigh, NC: NC State Cooperative Extension.
- Levy MG, Correa MT, Flowers JR, Frinsko M. 1999. Yellow Grub Disease: Life Cycle of Clinostomum. Laminated Brochure. Raleigh, NC: NC State Cooperative Extension.
Heterobilharzia Case Study
Diagnosis and investigation of the first confirmed case of Canine Blood-fluke disease in North Carolina and only the second successful case of canine heterobilharziasis in the United States.
- Flowers James R., Bruce Hammerberg, Sheri L. Wood, David E. Malarkey, Govert J. van Dam, Michael G. Levy, Dail McLawhorn. 2002. Clinical Signs, Pathology, Treatment and a Novel Serological Approach to Diagnosis of a Case of Severe Canine Heterobilharziasis. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 220: 193-196.
August 1989 - June 1994. Graduate Research
Extensive survey of digenetic trematode larvae and their molluscan hosts in the upper Neuse River basin and Swift Creek, Johnston and Wake counties, North Carolina.
- Flowers, James R. 1996. Notes on the Life History of Fascioloides magna in North Carolina. Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. 112(3): 115-118.
- Flowers, James R. 1996. Three Amphistome Cercariae (Paramphistomidae) from North Carolina. Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. 112(2): 80-86.
- Flowers, James R. and Grover C. Miller. 1995. Armatae xiphidiocercaria of North Carolina. J. of Helm. Soc. Wash. 62: 174-182.
- Flowers, James R. and Grover C. Miller. 1993. New molluscan (Gastropoda & Bivalvia) records for the Neuse River basin, North Carolina. Brimleyana. 19: 61-64.
- Flowers, James R. and Grover C. Miller. 1993. Molluscs collected from Swift Creek, Wake and Johnston Counties, North Carolina. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. 47: 359-365.
Identification and diagnosis of parasites and parasitic diseases and other service related studies.
- Flowers JR, M. Law, and Sofia Carvajal-Endara. 2011. Pseudosonsinotrema megalorchis n. sp. (Digenea: Pleurogenidae) from the Paramo Marsupial Frog, Gastrotheca pseustes (Anura: Hemiphractidae), from Ecuador. Comparative Parasitology. 78: 15-20.
- Sandfoss, M., C. DePerno, S. Patton, J Flowers, and S. Kennedy-Stoskopf. 2011. Prevalence of Antibody to Toxoplasma gondii And Trichinella spp. in Feral Pigs (Sus Scrofa) Of Eastern North Carolina. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 47: 338-343.
- Matsche MA, Flowers JR, Markin E., and Spence C. 2010. Observations and treatment of Nitzschia sturionis on Atlantic Sturgeon Acipenser oxyrinchus oxyrinchus from Chesapeake Bay. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health. 22:174–181.
- Bakal RS, Hickson BH, Gilger BC, Levy MG, Flowers J, and Khoo L. 2005. Surgical Removal of Cataracts Due to Diplostomum species in Gulf Sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus desotoi). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 36(3): 504-508.
- Rotstein DS, Flowers JR, Wolfe BA, and Loomis M. 2005. Renal Trematodiasis in Captive Double-Toothed Barbets (Lybius bidentatus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 36(1): 124-126.
- Flowers, J. A Method to Check a Herd or Group of Goats for Anthelmintic Resistance. North Carolina Meat Goat Association News. 2004; July: 6.
- Flowers, J. One Method to Check Individual Animals for Anthelmintic Resistance. North Carolina Meat Goat Association News. 2004; May: 4.
- Flowers, J. An Inexpensive Fecal Flotation Solution. North Carolina Meat Goat Association News. 2004; March: 4.
- Little D, Flowers J, Hammerberg B, and Gardener S. 2003. Management of Drug-resistant Cyathostominosis on a Breeding Farm in central North Carolina. Equine Veterinary Journal. 35: 246-251.
- Howell, J.M., J-M Luginbuhl, M.J. Grice, K.L. Anderson, P. Arasu, and J. R. Flowers. 1999. Control of gastrointestinal parasite larvae of ruminant using nitrogen fertilizer, limestone and sodium hypochlorite solutions. Small Ruminant Research. 32:197-204.
- Noga, Edward J., and James R. Flowers. 1995. Invasion of Tilapia mossambica (Cichilidae) Viscera by the Monogenean Enterogyrus cichlidarum. Journal of Parasitology. 81(5): 815-817.
- American Society of Parasitologists.
- Helminthological Society of Washington.
- Southeastern Society of Parasitologists.
- The Wildlife Disease Association.
- North Carolina Academy of Science, Inc.