Jay F. Levine
Post-doctoral Student Office: 919.513.6368
- BS, Michigan State University
- DVM, University of Tennessee
- MPH, Harvard University School of Public Health
- Professor, Epidemiology and Public Health
- Adjunct Professor UNC School of Public Health, Dept. of Epidemiology
- CVM Coordinator UNC-MPH Veterinary Concentration Area
- Associate Curator, NC State Museum of Natural Sciences
- NC Mollusk Scientific Council
Laboratory Web site: Aquatic Epidemiology and Conservation Laboratory: http://www.aeclab.org
- aquatic animal epidemiology
- the ecology, captive propagation, and conservation of unionids (freshwater mussels)
- biology, and captive propagation of endangered gastropods
- the role of bivalves as indicators of ecosystem health
- measuring microbial diversity in aquatic ecosystems
- the food safety of molluscan shellfish products
- the use of bivalves in bioremediation, restoring water quality and reversing eutrophication
- the effect of environmental contaminants on aquatic animal health
Both field and laboratory research activities support these studies. Ongoing research is funded by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, NC Wildlife Resources Commissions.
Active involvement in promoting environmental education, and environmental restoration as a conduit to local economic development. Promoting Aquaculture production biosecurity and the role of aquaculture in ensuring food safety, security and local economic development. Assisting with animal cruelty and welfare investigations. Advisory board for the development of the Sturgeon City Environmental Education Center and Recreational Complex. Participation in The Sturgeon City Youth Leadership Institute , and coordination of the Hill St. Homework Haven an after-school program promoting academic success for K-12 children.
- VMP 912: Introduction to Clinical Problem Solving in Vet. Practice.
- VMP 945: Epidemiology and Public Health
- VMP 958: Exotic and Emerging Diseases in Veterinary Medicine
- VMP 9910:011: Experiences in Aquaculture
- VPH 650: Population Medicine Forum
- VPH 713: Zoonoses and Public Health
- VPH 760: Molecular Technologies for Epidemiologic Investigation
- VPH 649: Issues in Preventive Medicine and Public Health
- VPH 675: Supervised Public Health Research
- FSA 520: Pre-harvest Food Safety
- Epid 756: Infectious Diseases in Developing Countries
Selected Recent Publications
Bucci, J, Levine JF, Showers, WJ. 2011. Spatial variability of the stable isotope δ 15N composition in two freshwater bivalves (Corbicula fluminea and Elliptio complanata). J. Freshwater Ecology 26:19-24.
Sicuro, B, Levine, JF. Sea cucumber: 2011. A new candidate species for aquaculture in the Mediterranean Sea. Reviews in Fisheries Science. Aquaculture 19:299-304.
Levine, JF. 2011. Integration of environmental stewardship and local economic development to enhance community health. NC Medical J. 72:201-4.
Levine, JF. 2011. The Wilson Bay Initiative, Riverworks, and the Sturgeon City Partnership: A case study for building academic community partnerships. J Higher Education Outreach and Engagement. 15:121-135.
Eads, CB, Bringolf, RB, Greiner, RD, Bogan AE, Levine, JF. 2010. Fish hosts of the Carolina heelsplitter (Lasmigona decorata), a federally endangered freshwater mussel (Bivalvia: Unionidae). American Malacological Bulletin 28:151-158.
Bucci, JP, Showers, WJ, Genna, B, Levine JF. 2009. Stable oxygen and carbon isotope profiles in a an invasive bivalve (Corbicula fluminea) in North Carolina watersheds. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 73:3234-3247.
Caldwell, J, Levine, JF. 2009. Domestic wastewater influent profiling using mitochondrial real-time PCR for source tracking animal
J Microbiol Methods 77:17-22.
Holliman, F, Davis, D, Bogan, A, Kwak T, Cope, G., Levine, JF. Magnetic resonance imaging of live freshwater mussels. Invertebrate Biology 127:396-402.
Vander Pluym JL, Eggleston DB, Levine JF. Impacts of Road Crossings on Stream Fish Movement and Community Structures. Transactions of the Canadian Fisheries Society (In press)
Bucci, JP, Showers, B, Levine, JF, Usry B. 2008. Valve gape response to turbidity in two freshwater bivalves (Corbicula fluminea and Lampsilis radiata). J. Freshwater Ecology 23:479-483.
Shivappa, RB, Savan, R, Kono, T, Sakal M, Kurath G, Levine, JF. 2008. Detection of spring viremia of carp virus (SVCV) by loop mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) in koi carp (Cyprinus carpio). Journal of Fish Diseases 31:249-258.
Holliman FM, Kwak TJ, Cope WG, Levine JF. 2007. Exposure of Unionid Mussels to Electric Current: Assessing Risks Associated with Electrofishing. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136:1593-1606.
Miller O, Fuller FJ, Gebreyes W, Lewbart GA, Shivappa RB, Stone DM, Dixon PF, Raley ME, Levine JF. 2007. Phylogenetic analysis of spring virema of carp virus reveals distinct subgroups with common origins for recent isolates in North America and the UK. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 76:193-204.
Johnson, AK, Law, JM, Harms, CA, Levine JF. 2007. Multi-tiered Health Assessment of Atlantic menhaden in the Pamlico River, North Carolina. J. Aquatic Animal Health 19:205-214.
Lehmann DW, Levine JF, Law JM. 2007. Polychlorinated biphenyl exposure causes gonadal atrophy and oxidative stress in Corbicula fluminea clams. Toxologic Pathology 35:356-365.
Caldwell JM, Raley ME, Levine JF. 2007. Mitochondrial Multiplex Real-Time Pcr As A Source Tracking Method In Fecal-Contaminated Surface Waters. Environmental Science and Technology 10:3277-3283.
Gustafson LL, Showers W , Kwak T, Levine JF, Stoskopf M. 2007. Temporal and spatial variability in stable isotope compositions of freshwater mussels: implications for biomonitoring and ecological studies. Oecologica 152:140-150.
Caldwell JM, Raley ME, Levine JF. 2007. Mitochondrial Multiplex Real-Time Pcr As A Source Tracking Method In Fecal-Contaminated Surface Waters . Environmental Science and Technology 41:3277-3283.
Lehmann DW, Levine JF, Law JM. 2007. Polychlorinated biphenyl exposure causes gonadal atrophy and oxidative stress in Corbicula fluminea clams Toxicologic Pathology 35:356-365.
Li, X., Payne J, Santos F, Anderson KE, Levine JF, Sheldon BW. 2007. Salmonella populations and prevalence in layer feces from commercial high-rise houses and characterization of the Salmonella isolates by serotyping, antibiotic resistance analysis, and pulsed field gel electrophoresis. Poultry Science 86:591-7.
Gustafson LL, Showers W , Kwak T, Levine JF, Stoskopf M. 2007. Temporal and spatial variability in stable isotope compositions of freshwater mussels: Implications for biomonitoring and ecologic studies. Oecologia 152:140-150.
Johnson AK, Harms CA, Levine JF, Law JM. 2006. A quantitative real-time RT-PCR assay to measure TGF-beta mRNA and its correlation with hematologic, plasma chemistry and organo-somatic indices responses in triamcinolone-treated Atlantic menhaden, Brevoortia tyrannus. Developmental Comparative Immunology 30:473-84.
Eads, CB, Bogan AE., Levine JF. 2006. Status and Life History of the Notched Rainbow (Villosa constricta) in the Upper Neuse River Basin. Southeastern Naturalist 5:649-660.
Jackson LE, Levine JF, Hilborn ED. 2006. A comparison of analysis units for associating Lyme disease with forest-edge habitat. Community Ecology 7:189-197.
Gustafson LL, Stoskopf MK, Bogan A, Showers W, Kwak, T, Hanlon S, Levine JF. 2005. Evaluation of a nonlethal technique for hemolymph collection in Elliptio complanata, a freshwater bivalve. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 65:159-165.
Gustafson LL, Stoskopf MK, Showers W , Cope G, Eads C , Linnehan R, Kwak T, Anderson B, Levine JF. 2005. Reference ranges for hemolymph chemistries from Elliptio complanata of North Carolina. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 65:167-176
- Jen Hurley (Freshwater mussel biology and conservation)
- Email: email@example.com
- Tom Fox (Aquatic biologist)
- Email: Tom_Fox@ncsu.edu
- Kruti Ravaliya (Food Safety)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Raphael Labens (Equine imaging)
- Email: email@example.com
- Christopher Eads (Field Coordinator)
- Email: Chris_Eads@ncsu.edu
- Jennifer Bloodgood
- Email: Jennifer_Bloodgood@ncsu.edu