Derek Foster, DVM, PhD, DACVIM
Ruminant Health and Production Medicine
Office: Main Building,
Education and Training
- BS in Animal Science: NC State, 1999
- DVM: NC State, 2004
- MSpVM: NC State, 2007
- PhD: NC State, 2012
- Board Certification: Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine-Large Animal
VMP 962—Ruminant Medicine and Surgery
VMB 923—Physiology II
VMP 970—Bovine Health Management:
VMP 987—Ruminant Special Topics
VMP 956 - Health Maintenance and Animal Production III
Self Paced -- Brown Swiss #3048
"An Animated Model of Rumen Motility." http://www.ncsu.edu/project/cvm_gookin/rumen_motility.swf
Clinical and Teaching Interests
- Ruminant and camelid medicine and surgery
- Ruminant GI physiology
- Gastrointestinal physiology
- Ruminant Internal Medicine
- Colostrum management in calves
Awards and Honors
- AVMA/AVMF Young Investigator Award- 2011
- Pfizer Distinguished Veterinary Teaching Award- 2012
- Faculty of the Year, NC State Student Chapter of AABP- 2010 & 2012
- Large Animal Clinician of the Year, Class of 2012
- Jacob ME, Foster DM, Rogers AT, et al. Evidence of non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli in the feces of meat goats at a U. S. slaughter plant. J Food Protect. Accepted for publication.
- Jacob ME, Foster DM, Rogers AT, et al. Prevalence and relatedness of E. coli O157:H7 in the feces and on the hides and carcasses of U. S. meat goats at slaughter. Applied and Environ Microbio. Accepted for publication.
- Foster DM, Stauffer SH, Stone MR, Gookin JL. Proteasome inhibition of pathologic shedding of enterocytes to defend barrier function requires X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein and nuclear factor-κB. Gastroenterology. 2012; 143:133-44. A figure from this manuscript was chosen for the cover.
- Azcarate-Peril MA, Foster DM, Cadenas MA, Stone MR, Jacobi SK, Stauffer SH, Pease A, Gookin JL. Acute necrotizing enterocolitis of preterm piglets is characterized by a unique consortium of ileum-associated bacteria. Gut Microbes. 2011; 2(4):234-43. A figure from this manuscript was chosen for the cover.
- Young G, Smith GW, Alley ML, Foster DM. Efficacy of amprolium for the treatment of pathogenic Eimeria species in Boer goat kids. Vet Parasit. 2011; 178(3-4):346-9.
- Foster DM, Chinnadauri S, Nutt J, Pandiri A, Linder K, Alley M, Smith GW. Congenital pericardeoperitoneal diaphragmatic hernia in an alpaca. Aust Vet J. 2011; 89(1-2):51-4.
- Smith GW, Davis JL, Smith SM, Gerard MP, Campbell NB, Foster DM. Efficacy and pharmacokinetics of pantoprazole in alpacas. J Vet Intern Med. 2010; 24(3):949-55.
- Gookin JL, Foster DM, Harvey AM, McWhorter D. An animated model of reticulorumen motility. J Vet Med Educ. 2009; 36(4):444-50.
- GW Smith, MP Gerard, NB Campbell, DM Foster, SM Smith and JL Davis (2009) Third-compartment cannulation in alpacas using a polyurethane gastrostomy tube. Aust Vet J 510:487-491
- Smith, GW, and Foster, DM. (2007). Absorption of protein and immunoglobulin G in calves fed a colostrum replacer. J Dairy Sci 90:2905-2908.
- Foster, DM, Smith, G, Sanner, TR, and Busso, GV. (2006). Serum IgG and total protein concentrations in dairy calves fed two colostrum replacement products. J Am Vet Med Assoc 229:1282-1285.
- Foster DM, Smith GW, Pandiri A, Blond L. Posterior paresis resulting from a vertebral body fracture in a bull.Bov Pract. 2008; 42(1):41-4.
- Foster DM and Smith GW. Pathophysiology of Diarrhea in Calves, Veterinary Clinics of North America—Food Animal Practice. 2009; 25(1):13-36.