Poultry Health Management Residency
The NC State University College of Veterinary Medicine (NCSU-CVM), Department of Population Health and Pathobiology (PHP), offers a unique opportunity for post-veterinary professional development: a combined Residency in Poultry Health Management (PHM), and Master of Specialized Veterinary Medicine (MSpVM). Successful completion of this 24-month program will result in:
- Certification of Residency completion
- Non-thesis Master’s degree
- Enhanced eligibility and preparation for specialty board certification by the American College of Poultry Veterinarians (ACPV).
This program offers course work and hands-on experience in the identification and control of factors impacting poultry health and production. Residents will participate in:
- Field investigations and research related to poultry health management and disease prevention issues
- Application and interpretation of laboratory diagnostic technology (serology, microbiology, molecular biology, pathology)
- Understanding and application of epidemiological strategies to evaluate disease processes in poultry populations
- Teaching activities of the PHM faculty
- Organizing and analyzing clinical and research data for development of professional presentations and publications.
Additionally, our Teaching Animal Unit provides on-site production experience and the opportunity to monitor and oversee health and disease surveillance programs of commercial turkey and broiler flocks.
The PHM program uses resources at the NCSU, CVM, NCSU State Poultry Science Department and Cooperative Extension Service, NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, integrated poultry production companies, and allied poultry industries.
To apply, applicants must submit the following to Human Resources, College of Veterinary Medicine, NC State University, 4700 Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC 27606 by February 1:
- NCSU graduate school application (GRE is NOT required). Application should be submitted under the Discipline: Biological, Life & Health Sciences; Program: Specialized Veterinary Medicine (www2.acs.ncsu.edu/grad/admissn/app/gradadm.htm)
- NCSU-CVM residency application ( http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/dphp/phm/documents/NCSU-CVM )
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Transcripts of university and veterinary college performance
- Three letters of recommendation
Applications must be submitted by 1 February 2011 to be eligible for the Poultry Health Management program beginning 20 June 2011. Submission of both the NC State Graduate School Application and the NCSU - CVM Residency Application are also required. The Non-Match application and supporting documentation should be submitted directly to the Human Resources Department.
Current description of our PHM Residency/MSpVM program.