skip to main content, skip to Quick links, or skip to Search

main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How much does it cost and what funding opportunities are available for CVM students?

A: The cost of traveling abroad varies for different regions of the world; in general, the total cost including airfare can range from about $2,000 to $3,000 or more, depending on the destination, length of stay, housing and food costs, and other expected and unexpected expenses. You should give some thought to the issue of financing your trip as part of your planning process. You can get further suggestions on cost, financial aid and scholarships from the NCSU Study Abroad website.

Funding opportunities include:

Q: How do I apply for a CVM International Program Travel Award?

A: CVM International Program Travel Awards are given each year based on availability of funds provided through the office of the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. There are two opportunities to submit applications for the funds. The deadline for submission of proposals is in November and March each year. The relevance of your proposed experience to your stated career goals is given preference during the review process. All proposals will be reviewed by a panel of members of the Ad-Hoc International Advisory Council.

Q. Where can I get the application form for a CVM International Program Travel Award

A: Click here for the CVM International Program Travel Award Application. You must log in using your unity id and password to access the application.

Q: Can I apply for summer financial aid if I am taking the elective International Veterinary Field Studies VMC 999?

A: Yes. Most students opt to register in the fall to avoid paying summer tuition, but if you are eligible for summer financial aid it may be advantageous to register in the summer. Please check with Johanna Donovan for more information.

Q: Can family or friends come with me on a faculty coordinated international trip?

A: It is possible, but only if there are spaces available on the trip and approval is given by the project coordinating faculty member. NCSU DVM students have first priority for these trips, followed by DVM students from other schools. If approval is given, spouses or family may participate and are expected to follow all of the same rules as the veterinary students.

Q:  What about vaccinations and health risks? 

A: Each student is responsible for investigating the health risks of places they are intending to travel using information provided at the CDC websites, NCSU Student Health Services, and other resources. It is your decision as to whether or not you want to take the recommended vaccinations or medications; all students are required to sign a waiver in this regard. Each student traveling abroad is required to carry the travel health insurance offered by the main campus international programs office. Further information can be obtained through the NCSU office for Study Abroad.

Q: What about foreign animal diseases?  Do I have to do anything?

A: The NCSU CVM VTH guidelines for travel abroad and best practices should be followed. If you are traveling in a foot and mouth disease endemic area you must not be involved in any activities that bring you in contact with ruminants, horses, swine or other susceptible species for 2 weeks on return to the US or any other FMD free area. For seniors taking VMC 997 this means it is best to register for a block in pathology, clinical pathology, small animal medicine or surgery. Avoid any blocks that would bring you to a large animal area. Students returning for an endemic area should NOT go to TAU (Teaching Animal Unit) or the barns to purchase dog food for two weeks. Many students take inexpensive foot wear on their trip and leave it behind when they return. Others bathe their shoes and exposed clothing in a vinegar wash to reduce the chance of spreading virus. If you are traveling to an exotic Newcastle's disease area, do not interact with poultry or pet birds for two weeks. Classroom activities are OK so long as there are no laboratories where you would come in contact with inappropriate species.

Q: When do I receive my funds?

A: Awards are paid upon successful completion of the experience as evidenced by a passing grade for the course. This includes submission of the required report, photos. You will be required to submit all receipts to Johanna Donovan in Student Services. She will compile the information and give to Accounting/Business Services. She will process a check for you which can take up to 3 weeks to receive.