skip to main content, skip to Quick links, or skip to Search

main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Other Topics



What is the CVM policy for adoption of research and teaching animals?
The formal policy is under revision but, in general, CVM research and teaching animals that have completed their use may, if healthy, be assigned to another project or offered for sale. The process begins by transferring the animals to LAR, at which time LAR assumes costs of maintenance until they are re-assigned. There are often strong feelings about the appropriate method of disposition of these animals, and PIs should voice their concerns at the time animals are transferred to LAR.

What do I do if there is an emergency situation with one of my animals or in the facility?
During regular working hours, call the Unit Supervisor or LAR office at 513-2931. After hours, LAR maintains an emergency phone line that has current information for the on-call veterinarian, manager, and supervisor: 513-6656. The general emergency number for campus is 911 or, for after-hours physical plant problems, 515-2991.

What happens to my animals if there is an emergency?
Medical emergencies are discussed in other FAQs. For natural emergencies/disasters, all LAR technical and veterinary staff are considered essential and expected to report to work in order to continue routine husbandry and monitoring for animal health and welfare. LAR maintains a Disaster Plan that addresses the handling of various emergency situations.

Can someone work in LAR facilities for one day without going through orientation?
All personnel who work with animals without direct supervision must be named on the IACUC protocol, complete IACUC training and enroll in the NCSU Occupational Health Program for Personnel with Animal Contact. These conditions are the basis for granting access to LAR facilities, along with orientation that is provided to each employee. Other personnel may enter LAR facilities, but only if accompanied by someone who has gone through orientation. In this case, the approved user assumes responsibility for both the animals’ handling/treatment and the individuals’ health and safety.

Back to Top
Back to FAQ Main Menu
Back to LAR home

Can visitors be brought into animal area w/o letting LAR know?
No; please contact the LAR Director. There are a variety health, safety, biosecurity, and public relations issues that should be discussed before visitors enter LAR facilities.

Can I take pictures in LAR facilities?
Taking pictures in LAR areas is generally discouraged, because it is often difficult to portray animal housing in a good light and we have little way to control how pictures might be used. Please contact the LAR Director to discuss any picture-taking plans. If plans include any media contact it is also important to contact the CVM Director of College Relations.

If I have a complaint, question or concern about the care of my animal(s), what do I do?
If the concern is related to routine housing or husbandry, the LAR Unit Supervisor is usually the best person to contact. Any LAR employee who receives a concern or complaint will bring that concern forward to LAR management, and CVM personnel are encouraged to contact the LAR Facilities Manager or Director with a concern at any time. The CVM Faculty Committee on Research acts as an LAR advisory committee, and PIs are encouraged to contact their departmental representatives with broader concerns or suggestions about LAR policies or procedures.

What do I do if I have an animal welfare concern?
Anyone with a concern over the welfare of any research or teaching animal in the CVM is encouraged to contact the LAR Director; any such communication is treated confidentially. Federal regulations also require that the IACUC have a mechanism to address concerns.

Where are some resources an investigator can use to help find alternatives to live animal use or alternatives to painful procedures?
LAR’s website offers links at The NCSU William Rand Kenan, Jr. Library of Veterinary Medicine librarians will help investigators with alternatives searches from multiple databases. The Johns Hopkins Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing contains excellent information for keywords and the latest news on alternatives.

Back to Top
Back to FAQ Main Menu
Back to LAR home