James Edgar (Ed) Smallwood, D.V.M., M.S.
Professor of Gross Anatomy, Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences
D.V.M.: Texas A & M University 1969
M.S.: Veterinary Anatomy, Texas A & M University 1972
Phone: (919) 513-6223
Fax: (919) 513-6465
- 1969 - 1981 Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Texas A & M University
- 1981 - 1989 Professor of Anatomy, North Carolina State University
- 1989 - present Alumni Distinguished Professor of Anatomy, North Carolina State University
- 2003 - present Senior Executive Director of the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Society
- American Association of Veterinary Anatomists 1972- present, President 1988-89
- World Association of Veterinary Anatomists 1977- present; President 1995 - 1999
- American Veterinary Medical Association 1969- present
- North Carolina Veterinary Medical Association 1981- present
- Phi Zeta Honor Society of Veterinary Medicine, National Secretary-Treasurer, 1987- present
- Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society of Agriculture, NC State Chapter Treasurer, 2003- present
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Texas Veterinary Medical Association Faculty Achievement Award for Teaching 1973
- Texas A & M University Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award for Teaching 1978
- Norden Distinguished Teacher Award 1978
- North Carolina State University SVM, Class of 1986 Outstanding Teacher Award 1983
- North Carolina State University SVM Class of 1988 Outstanding Teacher Award 1985, 1999
- North Carolina State University Alumni Outstanding Teacher Award 1985
- North Carolina State University Alumni Distinguished Professor Award 1989
- Second Place Winner, Student AVMA National Teaching Excellence Award in Basic Sciences, 1998
- North Carolina State College of Veterinary Medicine's Nominee for Board of Governors' Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1998, 2001
- Board of Governors' Award for Excellence in Teaching for NC State University, 2001
Primary Areas of Research Interest:
- Radiographic Anatomy
- Computed Tomography
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- A Guided Tour of Veterinary Anatomy: Domestic Ungulates and Laboratory Mammals, 390 pp., W. B. Saunders, Co., 1992.
- A Guided Tour of Veterinary Anatomy: Domestic Ungulates, Y2K Edition, 359 pp, Laser Image Publishing Company, July, 1999.
- Chapter 27: Prostate Gland and Testes: Orchiectomy of Descended and Retained Testes in the Dog and Cat and Biopsy of the Testis. With S. W. Crane and C. J. G. Wensing, In Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery, 2nd ed., M. J. Bojrab, ed., Lea & Febiger Co., 1983.
- Chapter 8: Digestive System. In Atlas of Feline Anatomy for Veterinarians, L. C. Hudson and W. Hamilton, eds., W. B. Saunders Co., 1993.
- Chapter 46: Radiographic Anatomy of the Dog and Horse. With K. A. Spaulding, In Textbook of Veterinary Diagnostic Radiology, 2nd ed, D. E. Thrall ed., W. B. Saunders Co., 1994.
- Chapter 47: Radiographic Anatomy of the Dog and Horse. With K. A. Spaulding, In Textbook of Veterinary Diagnostic Radiology, 3rd ed, D. E. Thrall ed., W. B. Saunders Co., 1998.
- Chapter 50: Radiographic Anatomy of the Dog and Horse. With K. A. Spaulding, In Textbook of Veterinary Diagnostic Radiology, 4th ed, D. E. Thrall ed., W. B. Saunders Co., 2002.
A Comparative Study of Selected Bones of the Bowhead Whale (Balaena mysticetus) with Efforts to Resolve the Status of the Ingutuk , A Mongraph Prepared for the Department of Wildlife Management North Slope Borough, Barrow, Alaska (includes gross, radiographic, computed tomographic, and light microscopic studies), 184 pages, 125 illustrations, June, 1996.
- Smallwood, J. E. and Kelly, E. J.: A Xeroradiographic Study of Osteochondrosis in the Metacarpophalangeal Region of Two Quarterhorse Foals, Veterinary Radiology 32, No. 1 (1992), 26-34.
- George, T. F. and Smallwood, J. E.: Anatomic Atlas for Computed Tomography in the Mesaticephalic Dog: Head and Neck, Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound 33, No. 4 (1992), 217-240.
- Smallwood, J. E. and George, T. F.: Anatomic Atlas for Computed Tomography in the Mesaticephalic Dog: Thorax and Cranial Abdomen, Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound 34, No. 2 (1993), 65-84.
- Smallwood, J. E. and George, T. F.: Anatomic Atlas for Computed Tomography in the Mesaticephalic Dog: Caudal Abdomen and Pelvis, Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound 34, No. 3 (1993), 143-167.
- Gayle, J. M., MacHarg, M. A., and Smallwood, J. E.: Strangulating obstruction caused by intestinal herniation through the proximal aspect of the cecocolic fold in 9 horses, Veterinary Surgery 30 (2001), 40-43.
- Rogers, G. M., Capucille, D. J., Poore, M. H., Maas, J. and Smallwood, J. E.: Growth Performance of Cattle Following Percutaneous Liver Biopsy Utilizing Schackelford-Courtney Biopsy Instrument, The Bovine Practitioner, 35, No.2 (2001): 177-184.
- Smallwood, J. E., Wood, B. C., Taylor, W. E. and Tate, L. P.: Anatomic Reference for Computed Tomography of the Head of the Foal, Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound 43 (2002): 99-117.
- Tomlinson, J. E., Redding, W. R., Berry, C., and Smallwood, J. E. Computed Tomographic Anatomy of the Equine Tarsus, Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound 44 (2003): 174-178.
- Smallwood, James E.: The Veterinary Teacher: An Anatomist's Comments on Learning and Teaching, Journal of Veterinary Medical Education, 31, No. 1 (Spring 2004): 79-82.
- North Carolina State Academy of Outstanding Teachers, Chairman 1992-93
- North Carolina State Faculty Senate, Chairman 1986-87
- North Carolina State Teaching Effectiveness and Evaluation Committee, Chairman 1989-91
- Rotary Club of North Raleigh, President 1993-94
- President's Award 1990
- Outstanding Rotarian Award 1994
- Special Service Award 1995
- Communities in Schools of Wake County, Board of Directors 1994 - 2000
- National Phi Zeta President's Award for 14 years of Service as Secretary-Treasurer, 2001
- North Carolina Veterinary Medical Association Distinguished Veterinarian Award, 2002