Mark Your Calendar: 23rd Annual Dog Olympics on Sept. 13
North Carolina State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine will host the 23nd Annual Dog Olympics from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 13, 2014 with fun competition, canine demonstrations, rescue groups, free microchip clinic, and a special “custom cart” Paralympics for dogs with spinal cord injuries.
The Dog Olympics is a charitable event that celebrates the human-animal bond and raises money for local animal rescue groups. Canines of all breeds, shapes, and sizes are invited to participate in athletic and non-athletic competition such as Best Trick, Doggie Limbo, the High Jump, Longest Tail, Musical Sit, Howling, and Rollover Rover.
A free microchip clinic (one pet per family) is being planned with trained personnel implanting a microchip that can be scanned with a handheld device ensuring a lost dog will be returned to its owner.
Among the demonstrations scheduled and being planned are the Cary K9 Unit; Treibbal with Superior Dog Training; Flyball with Dog Gone Fast; Canine Good Citizenship Testing, agility, and rallying demonstrations with the American Kennel Club; and the Paralympics parade, which focuses on the bond owners of paraplegic dogs have with their pets. Watch for updates.
An Olympic Village will feature rescue groups and shelters, canine health information booths including the CVM Seizure Studies Program, NCSU Libraries, vendors offering canine-related goods and services, food trucks, and a bake sale.
Admission for owner and competing canine athlete is $5 with the cost covering an entry fee for one event and a photo of the canine champion on the Olympic platform. Each additional event and photo is $2. Admission for owner and a non-competing dog is $2. Admission for individuals is $1 while children age five and younger are free. All proceeds support the rescue groups in attendance. All dogs must be current on vaccinations and kept on leash when not performing in a ring.
The event will be held on the “hearth” of the NC State Centennial Biomedical Campus located at 1060 William Moore Drive in Raleigh near the intersection of Hillsborough Street and Blue Ridge Highway.
The rain date is Oct. 4. For more information call 919.513.6662.
Thanks to Veterinary Surgical Referral Practice, K9 Solutions, Doggy Design, and Purina for supporting the 23rd Annual Dog Olympics. Watch for sponsor updates.
- Ring 1...Best Trick
- Ring 2...Small Dog Limbo
- Ring 3...Large Dog High Jump
- Demonstration Ring...Cary Police K9 Unit
- Ring 1...Large Dog Longest Tail
- Ring 2...Large Dog Limbo
- Ring 3...Small Dog High Jump
- Demonstration Ring...Treibball with Superior Dog Training
- Ring 1...Small Dog Longest Tail
- Ring 2...Large Dog Musical Sit
- Ring 3...Howling Contest
- Demonstration Ring... Expected/ tentative Custom Cart Paralympic Parade with the Neurology Service
- Ring 1...Large Dog Longest Tail
- Ring 2...Small Dog Musical Sit
- Ring 3...Roll Over Rover
- Demonstration Ring...Flyball with Dog Gone Fast
Special Olympic Frisbee Toss Competition for all dogs
- Planned free microchip clinic for one dog per family
- Glitter Tattoos
- Carnival Games
- Raffle Items
- CVM T-shirt Sales
- Blue Ridge Boxer Rescue
- Boston Terrier Rescue of NC
- Boston Terrier Rescue Team of the Carolinas
- Carolina Boxer Rescue
- Charlotte Cocker Rescue
- English Springer Rescue America
- Great Dane Rescue Alliance
- Greyhound Friends of NC
- Hope Animal Rescue
- Mid-Atlantic Pug Rescue
- Neuse River Golden Retriever Rescue
- Pawfect Match Rescue
- Rottweiler Hearts Rescue
- Schnauzer Rescue of the Carolinas
- Second Chance Pet Adoptions
- Triangle Beagle Rescue
- Vets to Vets United, Inc.
- American Kennel Club
- All Dogs Allowed
- Camp Bow Wow
- Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance
- Four Legs Barking
- Grace’s Pet Treats
- Howl Whimsical
- Kids For Kindness
- Molly’s Canine Epilepsy Outreach
- The Pet Necklace
- Pet Pals
- Serenity Pet Massage
- Suite Paws
- Superior Dog Training
- Wicks for Wags
- Veterinary Medicine Library
- Dang Good (Hot) Dogs
- Big Mike's BBQ
- Port City Java
- Johanna's Famous Bake Goods
- Pelican's Sno Balls (for people and dogs)