Attend these demonstrations and interesting talks
- 9:30....Cary K9 Unit Officer Phil Humphries
- 10:15....American Kennel Club Obedience / Rally
- 11:45....Go Dog Go / Dog Gone Fast
- 12:30....American Kennel Club Agility
- 2....Go Dog Go / Dog Gone Fast
Teaching Animal Unit
- Every 30 minutes....Equine physical exam by members of the Equine Club in TAU corral.
Large Animal Breezeway
- 10:30, 1:30, 2:30....Fistulated Steer demonstration.
Outside Equine & Farm Animal Veterinary Center
- 9:15, 12:15....Comparative Anatomy. Using a real painted horse as a model, we will show you how the bones in a horses limbs compare to the bones in your own arms and legs.
- 9:45, 10:45....Extreme Cowboys. A local group of riders will show the versatility of their horses over trail-style obstacles.
- 10:15, 1:30....Equine Endoscopy. Come see NC State veterinarians use state of the art wireless technology to watch a live video of a horse's airway while exercising.
- 1, 2....Mustang Training. Mary Miller-Jordan's motto is "the reward is in the relationship." She will display freestyle and trick performances with multiple mirrored Mustangs to showcase their relationships.
- All Day...Look Inside the CVM Mobile Surgery Unit, the Companion Animal Mobile Equipment Trailer (CAMET), and the North Carolina Equine Assistance and Specialized Transport (NCEAST). Veterinary care goes on the road with these self-contained unitss
- All Day...NCTA Caisson Unit. Be sure to see the beautiful Percheron/ Morgan horses and the caisson wagon of the North Carolina Troopers Association. These horses are all black in color and stand between 15-17 hands high. Two of the horses on the NCTA Caisson Unit team were also on the team that carried President Ronald Regan's casket. Talk with the Troopers about the history of caisson wagons and the current activities of this interesting component of the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
Inclement weather may change outdoor activities.
CVM Administration Building South Theater
"One Medicine: Discoveries that Save Lives"
- Noon...Dr. Jorge Piedrahita, director of the NC State Center for Comparative Medicine and Translational Research, will discuss current investigations that benefit animal and human health.
- 9:30, 11:30...Dinner Time: What Animals Eat
- 10, 1...Be a Vet for a Day
- 10:30, 1:30...Careers in Veterinary Medicine
- 11, 2...If Animals Could Talk
CVM Administration Building North Theater
- 9:30, 12...Rehabilition Video
- 10, 1...Surgery Demonstration
- 11, 2...Admissions: Getting into Veterinary School
Due to certain health risks:
- Please do not bring your pets to Open House.
- Please do not attend if you visited foreign countries and had contact with animals after March 21.
- Remember to wash your hands after touching the animals (especially before eating).