Veterinary medical students enrolled in good standing at AVMA Council on Education accredited institutions can apply to transfer to NC State University. Students will only be considered for transfer into semesters 2 through 5 (transfer students must complete the entire junior and senior year at NC State). NC State only accepts transfer requests from students currently enrolled at these institutions. Also, we only accept credits earned at AVMA accredited or approved schools.
To be considered for transfer, the curriculum at the school of origin must be very similar to that at NC State and there must be a vacancy in the class. Please note that we may not know if we have a vacancy until after the application deadline. Prospective applicants may contact the CVM Registrar with questions regarding space availability.
Transfer Preparation Process
- Confirm that your college/school is accredited by the AVMA
- Check if the classes you will complete before anticipated transfer closely match those that would be completed by a student in the NCSU DVM Curriculum
- Check the academic calendar at your school and the NCSU DVM Academic Calendar to make that sure you can complete your classes before the start of the anticipated NCSU DVM transfer semester.
- Confirm that there is a potential vacancy in the desired transfer class by contacting the CVM Registrar.
Transfer Application Process
- Complete the Transfer Application (link will be active during "time windows" noted below)
- Submit an official transcript of all veterinary classes
- Submit course descriptions of all veterinary classes
- Submit a Letter of recommendation from a faculty member at applicant's current school
- Submit a letter of Good Standing with class rank from the Dean or Associate Dean of Academic Affairs at the applicant's current school
- Submit official (or copy) GRE scores from ETS (NC State code = 5496) or your home institution.
- Pay the $60 application fee via the Transfer Application link
All documents must be sent to:
College of Veterinary Medicine, NCSU
Student Services Office, Attn: Transfer Admissions
1060 William Moore Drive, Campus Box 8401
Raleigh, NC 27607
NOTE: The Transfer Application will be open the following times:
Fall Semester: May 1 – May 31 (WILL OPEN MAY 1, 2013 for FALL 2013 CYCLE)
Spring Semester: October 10 - October 31
The College of Veterinary Medicine will entertain transfer applications for the Fall 2013 semester. The college hopes to fill one seat each for the Class of 2015 and 2016 (at minimum). Please note that multiple factors will be considered including, but not limited to, academic excellence, curriculum match, veterinary experience background, recommendations, etc.
The transfer application window will open from 11:00am EDT May 1, 2013 to 1:00pm EDT May 31, 2013.
The application fee is non-refundable so please take this into consideration before submitting an application.
Please contact the CVM Registrar with any transfer application questions.