skip to main content, skip to Quick links, or skip to Search

main content


DVM Current Students

How do I obtain a letter of good standing or enrollment verification?

Please send an e-mail request to the CVM Registrar and include your Student ID number and contact information for the recipient of the letter.

How do I obtain a copy of my medical records?

To obtain a copy of or allow your parents or guardians access to your medical records or have them sent to a third party:

  1. Bring the authorization form to the Medical Records department.
  2. Fax requests for records to 1-877-221-6278 (NCSU).
  3. Mail the authorization form to:

    NCSU Student Health Services
    Medical Records Department
    2815 Cates Avenue
    Box 7304
    Raleigh, NC 27695-7304

Where do I find information about career services?

Information and contact information on career services can be found on both the CVM and University web sites.

Where do I find information about financial aid?

Information and contact information on financial aid can be found on both the CVM and University web sites.

Where do I find information about graduation?

The Registration and Records Office maintains a link with information concerning procedures for graduation.

How do I submit a name change request?

The Registration and Records Office maintains a link with information concerning procedures for name change requests. You should also inform the CVM Registrar by e-mail for internal updates.

Where do I find guidelines for pregnant veterinary medical students?

Information for pregnant students can be found in the DVM Student Handbook on the Academic Affairs web site.

How do I request a privacy block to suppress directory information?

The Registration and Records Office maintains a link with information concerning procedures for privacy blocks.

Where do I find information on student medical insurance?

Student Health Services provides information on health insurance and a link to BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina.

How do I request an official transcript?

Information on requesting an official transcript can be found on the Registration and Records website.

When ordering online, you can place a hold on your official transcript until your degree is conferred but please be aware of the 30 day window. After 30 days, your order will be canceled. The registrar’s office recommends using the transcript request form to place orders for official transcripts with holds for degree conferral (or requests greater than 30 days):

You can fax this request directly to their office.

Graduate Program

What graduate programs do you offer? Where can I get the graduate program information?

The CVM offers five NC State graduate programs: Comparative Biomedical Sciences, Immunology, Physiology, Specialized Veterinary Medicine, and Veterinary Public Health. You can apply for a Masters or PHD degree. Please note that you don’t have to have a Master degree to apply for a PHD degree.

All the information about the programs is online. Visit our websites at:

What do I need to do if I want to apply for a Graduate Program?

Fill out the online Graduate School application and forward a resume, all post-secondary transcripts, 3 letters of recommendation and GRE scores (if applicable to your program) directly to the CVM Programs Assistant. International applicants also need to submit an official TOEFL score.

Click here for information regarding application to the NC State Graduate School.

I am an international applicant, where can I get information about student visas and immigration regulations?

Please check with NC State’s Office of International Services.

When is the application deadline?

The application deadlines vary for each program. Please contact the individual programs for exact information. Generally, the application deadlines are as follows:

Is there financial aid available for graduate students? What about stipends or assistantships?

Please visit here to learn more about graduate funding. The CVM offers stipends to students. A limited number are reserved for returning students while the majority are used for new students. Applicants are evaluated during the admissions process on the merit of their application. A separate stipend application is not used.

Is there an orientation for new graduate students?

A mandatory Graduate Student Orientation is held for new students in mid-August (normally at the Jane S. McKimmon Center). It is a general orientation organized by different institutions of the university to familiarize all the incoming graduate students with campus. A handbook will be distributed at the orientation. It includes all the information you need to know about our university, such as transportation, housing, computer services and financial aid. Most importantly, a "check list" will tell you the target dates of important administrative tasks you need to finish, such as when to sign the “Patent Agreement” and when to submit the “Plan of Work,” etc.

In addition, some programs offer a program related orientation. Students will receive notification of the date and time.

How does a new student know which classes to take?

A new student should contact his or her advisor to develop the “Plan of Work” for the student’s curriculum. If an advisor has not been selected yet, the student should meet with the director of his or her graduate program (DGP).

How do I apply for NC Residency?

Please visit the Graduate School's Residency page to learn more.

Any more questions?

Visit the Graduate School's FAQ page.

How do I contact the Student Services Office with questions concerning graduate programs?

NC State College of Veterinary Medicine
Student Services Office
1060 William Moore Drive, Box 8401
Raleigh, NC 27607
Phone: 919-513-6357 Fax: 919-513-6197

House Officers (Interns and Residents)

How do I apply to become an intern or resident in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital?

Most programs at NCSU use the American Association of Veterinary Clinicians Veterinary Internship and Residency Matching Program (VIRMP). Applications are obtained online through VIRMP. You must complete the application and have all materials in prior to the deadline listed on the web site (usually the first week in December).

We recommend that you complete the application and send your supporting materials (application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc.) in ONE package as early as possible to the CVM Human Resources Office. The AAVC announces the results in early March.

When does my residency or internship start?

Most start July 1, unless a different date is advertised or alternative arrangements are made with your coordinator.

Is there an orientation?

Yes, it is July 1 (or the following Monday if the 1st falls on the weekend) or the first day of your residency or internship. You will receive more information regarding orientation once your appointment has been confirmed.

I am an international applicant, where can I get information about work visas and immigration regulations?

Please check with NC State's Office of International Services.

What benefits are provided to residents and interns (EPA post-doc employees)?

Click here for benefits information for EPA post-docs.

How do I contact the CVM Human Resources Office with questions concerning internships and residencies?

NC State College of Veterinary Medicine
Human Resources Office
4700 Hillsborough Street, Box 8401
Raleigh, NC 27606
Phone: 919-513-6020 Fax: 919-513-6452