The equine internal medicine service at North Carolina State University specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of horses with diseases including:
- Colic and diarrhea
- Respiratory disease, including heaves, inflammatory airway disease, and pneumonia
- Cardiac disease
- Neurological disease, including EPM (Equine Protozoal Encephalomyelitis) and Wobblers
- Diseases of the neonatal and older foal
- Endocrine disease, including Equine Cushing's disease, thyroid disease, and anhidrosis
Why might I need an equine internal medicine specialist?
An equine internal medicine specialist is able to provide specialized care in areas such as:
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Association of Equine Practitioners. This site has an excellent owner eduction section.
- North Carolina Veterinary Medical Association
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners
- NetVet Veterinary Resources. In existence since 1994, this extensive clearinghouse of information for veterinarians includes the World Wide Web Virtual Library of Veterinary Medicine.
- The HayNet. A huge compendium of horse sites on the Web.