- All clinicians must be familiar with the infectious disease protocol.
- The senior clinician shall retain full discretion for diagnosis, case management, and handling, and must inform the other clinicians, and technical staff, of the protocol to be followed for a particular case.
- No action will be taken to prejudice the health of the patient or other patients in the hospital
- The senior clinician is responsible for locating the animal in the appropriate stall area and providing correct identification, warning and protection.
- The Infectious Disease Committee (or the chairperson) will arbitrate any queries or disagreement over interpretation of the protocol and will investigate any failure to comply with a decision.
- Any subsequent variations to a procedure must be approved by the Infectious Disease Committee.
- Access to A aisle (ICU aisle) is limited to those who are directly involved with the care of the patients housed there. All other traffic should use the aisle adjacent to the reception office.
- Hand hygiene.
- Hands must be sanitized between patients. Alcohol foamers are located by every stall.
- Gloves are to be worn when handling patients housed in the ICU aisle and restriction. Gloves must be changed between patients.
- All hospitalized animals are to be assigned their own Patient Care Kit (grooming brush, digital thermometer and hoof pick) for their exclusive use.
- A patient presented with a wound or infection site that has remained unresolved following previous antibiotic therapy, must have a sample submitted for culture and sensitivity at the initial examination.