Anesthesia protocol for patients with infectious diseases
- Clinician must alert anesthesia staff of the status of the animal on the anesthesia request form. If quaternary ammonium compounds will not inactivate the organism, the staff must be alerted.
- Whenever possible, used, disposable, anesthetic circuit components and tracheal tubes shall be utilized.
- Following use, these components will be double bagged in a biohazard bag and incinerated.
- When nondisposable items are used, they shall be thoroughly disinfected following use.
- One rolling table will be assigned for the use of the patient and will be used for all transport.
- Before the table is used for other patients, it shall be thoroughly disinfectant and allowed to dry.
- Recovery of patients with infectious diseases shall occur in the animal's cage.
- Immunosuppressed animals:
- The clinician must alert the anesthesia staff of the animal's status on the anesthetic request form. New sterile circuits and endotracheal tubes will be used.