Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which horse transportation companies are available to import horses?
You can find this information through a variety of resources. These companies have imported and transported horses to our CEM Quarantine facility:
- Mersant International Limited
- HFR International Horse Transport
- Global Horse Transport, Inc.
- Alex Nichols Agency
- The Dutta Corporation
In addition, these companies have transported horses from the US entry points to our CEM Quarantine facility (US transport only):
- Norris Horse Transport: Scott Norris, Southern Pines, NC
- Horse Transportation, LLC: Eric Payne, Southern Pines, NC
2. Can all appointments for the Equine Health Center at Southern Pines (EHC-SP) facility be scheduled by calling the EHC-SP office?
No – Ophthalmology appointments are scheduled by calling the Main Ophthalmology Clinic at 919.513.6659.
All other appointments are scheduled by calling the EHC-SP office at 910.692.8773.
3. How long does it take to get results for Equine Infectious Anemia (Coggins)?
Veterinarians who submit blood samples and all required documentation for Coggins by 2:30PM can expect results on the next business day. Upon special request, we can provide results within two hours if the sample and documentation are submitted NLT 2:00PM.
4. Can horse owners submit blood samples for Coggins?
In order to test blood samples for Coggins, documentation must include a signature by a licensed veterinarian. Therefore, we can not test blood samples submitted by horse owners.