skip to main content, skip to Quick links, or skip to Search

Testimonials & Case Studies

Van & Tori


Last year, our youngest male cat, Van, ate a long string which got stuck in a molar. The string did not pass thru the digestive tract, but rather, stayed in the intestines. My wife noted that Van was not eating for two days and was not looking well. We took him to a nearby emergency vet clinic and they realized what was wrong with him. They had to operate on Van to extract the ball of yarn that was obstructing his intestines. It took a couple of weeks for Van to recover from the operation.

Fast forward to the Spring of 2010: we have been fanatical to not have strings, threads, rubber bands, etc. in the spaces where Van is allowed to roam. One Sunday, I was using 3 needles to mend some clothes when the washing machine stopped. I stood up to move the clothes to the dryer, which took about 10 seconds and when I turned around, I saw Van on top of the table where I had the needles. I counted only 2 needles on the table and I asked my kids to help me find the 3rd needle. We opened Van's mouth to see if we could see anything and it was clear (nothing attached to his molars), but we could not find the 3rd needle. Based on the previous episode with Van and his obsession with strings (all the needles had strings attached to them), I had to assume that Van ate the needle, that the needle was still in his stomach and not passed yet to the intestines, and thus, we had to act very fast. My son and I took him right away to the same emergency clinic. They told us that they did not have the endoscopic equipment to extract the needle from the mouth of Van without having surgery and opening his belly again. They told us to go to the Small Animal Clinic at the NCSU Veterinary School which we did immediately. At the clinic, we were attended promptly and courteously and they showed genuine interest in the well being of Van. They took X-rays which showed the needle in his stomach. The attending student and vet doctor explained to us the procedure to extract the needle and the possible risks. They took Van to the OR and used the great endoscopic equipment they have and which they are known experts. They were able to successfully remove the needle via Van's mouth without the need of surgery. When we went to get Van, he was a bit dizzy from the sedation but was well treated. He recovered very well and by the 2nd day, he was as good as ever! The picture includes Van (the white cat on the left), with his sister Tori, enjoying their cat tree in our living room. Thank you very much for the great job that you did with Van!

Angel R. - Cary, NC

Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

My 4 year old Maine Coon male cat, Mr. Jingles, started having urinary tract problems due to the formation of kidney stones. After being completely blocked 3 times in less than a 2 month period, my local vet recommended he have surgery to enlarge the size of his urinary tract. This procedure was called a perineal urethrostomy. My local vet made initial contact with NC State Veterinary Hospital. Mr. Jingles was examined the very next day.

From the very start at NCSU, I was treated with polite, courteous service. The DVM in triage explained everything in detail about the surgery. Costs for the surgery were explained so I would be aware of what to expect financially. The surgery was performed the same day that I took Mr. Jingles to be examined. I received regular updates as to the condition of my pet. I cannot thank the Staff and Doctors enough for saving my “best friend’s” life.

Mr. Jingles is feeling great and is friskier than he has been in quite a while. I have to watch his diet to reduce the chance of more kidney stone formations, but the chance of another blockage has been greatly reduced due to the surgery.

If you love your pet and they need first class medical attention, then NCSU Veterinary Health Complex should be your choice for help. I will always be extremely grateful for the care they provided.

Mike N. - Littleton, NC


Upon arrival at Veterinary Hospital, we were greeted immediately.  The staff indicated that they were aware of our impending arrival and took India immediately to an exam room.  A staff member stayed with us and took a detailed history of India's current treatment and of her past medical history.  In a short time, the staff took us to a consultation room and explained that India would have to have major surgery in order to repair what was indeed confirmed as a tear in her esophagus.  The staff spent a great deal of time explaining the procedure to us, the risks and benefits of the procedure, their anticipated recovery for India, how long they expected her hospital stay to be and when we might be able to visit her.

Throughout India's entire stay and recovery, we were continually impressed by the professionalism of the entire health care team at the Veterinary Hospital from the receptionist to the technicians and doctors.  Their demeanor and care showed in India also.  The couple of times we came to visit her over the course of the next few days, we were amazed to see how calm and comfortable she was with these professionals who so obviously had devoted their lives to the care of our furry companion.

Kathleen B. - Hope Mills, NC