The Nutrition Service provides nutritional recommendations and feeding plans for patients undergoing treatment for and recovering from medical and surgical ailments at the Veterinary Hospital. The Clinical Nutrition Service works closely with the Critical Care Service in ensuring optimal nutrition by designing both voluntary and assisted feeding nutrition support plans. We specialize in the management of all types of assisted feeding ports and the preparation and delivery of intravenous nutrition as needed. We work closely with Internal Medicine, Surgery, Oncology, the Rehabilitation Service and other specialized services to provide state-of-the-art individualized nutritional plans for patients with various medical conditions.
- Commercial diet recommendations
- Critical care nutrition for inpatients
- Individualized assisted (tube) feeding protocols
- Elimination diet trials for the diagnosis and management of suspected food allergies
- Orphaned neonatal feeding plans
- Customized weight loss programs
- Complete and balanced home prepared recipe formulation
We provide individual nutrition consultations for dogs, cats and horses. We work in conjunction with both your pet’s specialist veterinarian and family veterinarian. We are not beholden to any particular pet food company and receive no monetary “kickback” for our recommendations. Therefore we are able to provide simply the best dietary options for your pet.
Appointments and Referrals
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM
Facility: Veterinary Health & Wellness Center
All consultations require a referral from your family veterinarian or veterinary specialist. Consults can be completed either by an in-person appointment or via telemedicine (i.e. phone/email).
Referring veterinarians should submit a Veterinarian Referral Consult Request form via email or fax along with all pertinent medical records. If an in-person appointment is desired, please note on the referral form and a client service representative will call to schedule the 30 minute appointment.
How does a Veterinarian request a Nutrition Consult for a patient?
The Clinical Nutrition Service offers phone /Skype or web email based consultations to veterinarians for a wide variety of medical conditions such as kidney disease, heart disease, cancer, gastrointestinal disease and those challenging cases with more than one medical condition. We also offer consultations to pet owners with a keen interest in the pet food industry.
Email Consult Instructions:
- Complete the Veterinarian Nutrition Consult Request (pdf download).
- Please fax the completed consult request form (919.513.6905) and the pertinent medical records (to include results of all diagnostics) to Attn: Nutrition Service.
- Once the request form has been received, a representative of the Nutrition Service will contact you by the end of the following business day to provide an estimated date of consultation completion. If you have not been contacted and submitted a request, please call 919.513.6999 to confirm referral receipt.
- Once all materials have been received, the average turnaround time for commercial and assisted feeding recommendations is 2 business days. Homemade diet formulations can take up to 15 business days for completion.